According to the U.S. Department of Justice, homeland security professionals have thwarted at least one terrorism plot in New Jersey since September 11, 2001. This failed plot was a planned attack on Fort Dix to take place in 2007.
- Grand Canyon University - B.S. and M.S in Homeland Security and Emergency Management
- SNHU - A.S. in Criminal Justice, B.S. in Criminal Justice - Homeland Security & Counterterrorism, and M.S. in Criminal Justice - Advanced Counterterrorism
- Strayer University - Bachelors of Science Degree in Criminal Justice
- Michigan State University - Online Master of Science in Criminal Justice
- Saint Joseph's University - Online Master of Science in Criminal Justice
- Norwich University Online - Master of Arts in International Relations Program - Online
However, many terrorism plans against neighboring New York have also involved New Jersey. With its close proximity to the terrorism hotbed of New York, New Jersey is the perfect state for those interested in beginning careers in homeland security. Homeland security jobs in New Jersey may be found within federal governmental agencies, state organizations, or private corporations that do business with government organizations as contractors and consultants.
Homeland Security Education in New Jersey
Possessing a degree and/or certification in homeland security is vital to qualifying for homeland security jobs in New Jersey. With New Jersey’s importance to the security of the United States as a whole, it is imperative that state, federal, local and private agencies find competent and well-educated homeland security professionals to fill open positions.
Colleges and universities in the state of New Jersey and online offer homeland security educational programs that lead to certification and degrees at both undergraduate and graduate levels. Classes may include:
- Emergency preparedness
- Emergency response and evacuation procedures
- Homeland security administration and organization
- Homeland security operations
- Fundamentals of public speaking
- Risk management and analysis
- International relations
Homeland Security Government Agencies in New Jersey
The New Jersey State Police has collaborated with the FBI since 1985 in an effort to fight domestic and international terrorism, making the state an early adopter of counterterrorism measures. In one of the first acts signed into law after September 11, 2001, the New Jersey Domestic Security Preparedness Act of October 4, 2001 created a Cabinet-level agency that would set homeland security and counterterrorism policies for the state: the Domestic Security Preparedness Task Force. Additional agencies established since then include the Counter Terrorism Bureau of the New Jersey State Police, created in 2003; and the New Jersey Regional Operations Intelligence Center, established in 2005.
Private Contractors That Serve New Jersey’s Homeland Security Needs
While there are 68 governmental and state organizations operating in a homeland security capacity in New Jersey, not all homeland security jobs in New Jersey are at the governmental levels or with state agencies. Almost 60 private corporations operate in a top-secret, counterterrorism capacity in New Jersey and work with government agencies in an effort to thwart terrorism. These corporations are the home base of many homeland security jobs in New Jersey, and include:
- Vortalsoft in Somerset, providing building and personal security and information technology solutions
- TechnoDyne LLC in Wayne, providing personnel and staffing services
- Tektron Micro Electronics, Inc. in Pennsauken, providing technical intelligence, naval operations, law enforcement, information technology, weapons technology, ground force operations and anti-drug operations services
- Sensor Technologies, Inc. in Red Bank , providing personal and building security, intelligence analysis, information technology, weapons technology and ground force operations services
- Price Systems LLC in Mount Laurel, providing facilities and infrastructure services as well as management administration and consulting services
- Outline Systems in Somerset, providing information technology services
- CSP Technologies in Montville, providing information technology, weapons technology and ground force operations services