According to the Department of Justice, South Carolina ranks 24th out of 50 states for its number of counterterrorism and homeland security organizations and 26th for its number of organizations created following September 11, 2001.
Further, South Carolina ranks 35th for its FY2009 spending in federal homeland security and 30th for its antiterrorism and domestic preparedness spending. South Carolina ranks 25th when federal government expenditures are measured per capita.
The Department of Justice also reports that South Carolina is just one of 13 states where one or more terrorism convictions from 9/11 took place.
The Department of Homeland Security and the FBI have both noted that South Carolina has the fastest growing immigration population in the United States, just one factor that is measured by both entities when determining potential threats. As such, South Carolina is just one of 22 states in the nation with more than one Joint Terrorism Task Force.
Degree and Training for Homeland Security Careers in Columbia
Due to the large presence of homeland security and counterterrorism organizations in South Carolina, Columbia, as its largest city, has a number of higher education institutions that offer degree programs in homeland security and related programs. Just a few of the degree programs individuals may pursue to achieve careers in homeland security include:
- Master of Science in Administration of Justice and Security: Homeland Security
- Master of Science in Criminal Justice: Homeland Security Administration
- Bachelor of Science in Criminal Justice: Homeland Security and Emergency Management
- Bachelor of Arts in Organizational Management: Homeland Security
- Bachelor of Arts in Homeland Security
Core coursework found throughout many homeland security degree programs includes:
- Emergency Management
- Critical Problem Analysis
- Introduction to Homeland Security
- Intelligence Process
- Critical Infrastructure Protection
- Legal and Ethical Issues in Homeland Security
Just a few of the professionals involved in homeland security include:
- Intelligence Analysts
- Cyphers and Cryptologists
- Electronic Monitoring Specialists
- Transportation Security Agents
- International Correspondents
- Surveillance Specialists
Homeland Security Certification
Professional certification in homeland security is a common activity sought out by individuals in this field, as counterterrorism and emergency management are dynamic fields that are constantly changing and progressing.
There are a number of opportunities for individuals interested in homeland security certification:
The National Domestic Preparedness Coalition
- Certified Homeland Protection Professional (CHPP) Certification
- Certified Homeland Protection Associate (CHPA)
The American Board for Certification in Homeland Security
- Sensitive Security Information, Certified
- Intelligence Analyst Certified, IAC
- Certified National Threat Analyst, CNTA
- Certified Master Chaplain, CMC
- Certified in Homeland Security – Emergency Medical Responder
- Certified in Disaster Preparedness, CDP-I
Homeland Security Agencies in Columbia, South Carolina
Jobs in homeland security are plentiful in Columbia, South Carolina, given the location of many of the state and region’s top counterterrorism organizations:
South Carolina Joint Terrorism Task Forces – There are two Joint Terrorism Task Forces in Columbia and Charleston. These Task Force offices are located at the FBI field offices.
Anti-Terrorism Advisory Council – The U.S. Attorney chairs the Anti-Terrorism Advisory Council in Columbia.
FBI Field Intelligence Group – The FBI operates a Field Intelligence Group in Columbia.
South Carolina Intelligence and Information Center – The Intelligence and Information Center is a branch of the South Carolina Law Enforcement Division, the state’s all-crimes fusion center.
South Carolina Law Enforcement Division – A DHS Protective Security Advisor, located in Columbia, works within the South Carolina Law Enforcement Division.
South Carolina Emergency Management Division – The South Carolina Emergency Management Division, the state agency for emergency and disaster preparedness, is located in West Columbia.