In 2011, the Department of Homeland Security announced that it was reducing the amount of grant money for Urban Areas Security Initiative grants to 30 cities nationwide, including Tucson, Arizona. The cuts were a result of the economic conditions at the time. Fortunately, these cuts have not seemed to upset the security of the city of Tucson, as there is still positive growth in career opportunities related to homeland security.
- Strayer University - Bachelors of Science Degree in Criminal Justice
- Michigan State University - Online Master of Science in Criminal Justice
- Saint Joseph's University - Online Master of Science in Criminal Justice
- Norwich University Online - Master of Arts in International Relations Program - Online
The University of Arizona’s Eller College of Management in Tucson has begun innovative research into terrorism. As part of a GeoPolitical Web Project, students have collected and monitored the likelihood of homeland security threats in various states, identifying data sources and analyzing information. The long-term goals of this project include a better understanding of Jihadism and international cyber-terrorism. Cutting-edge research like this makes homeland security jobs attractive to college students in Tucson and other parts of Arizona and the United States.
Homeland Security Training in Tucson, Arizona
Training for homeland security careers in Tucson involves getting an undergraduate certificate or degree (at the undergraduate or graduate level) in homeland security or a closely related field. College and university programs in Tucson and online related in homeland security include:
- Associate of Science in Criminal Justice
- Bachelor of Arts in Homeland Security
- Master of Business Administration in Homeland Security
- Master of Science in Management in Homeland Security
- Master of Science in Forensic Psychology and Criminal Investigation
Homeland Security in Tucson’s Public and Private Sector
Jobs in homeland security in Tucson, Arizona may be found at the state, local and national levels. Some are within government-run agencies, while others may be within privately owned corporations. Examples of potential providers of homeland security jobs in Tucson include:
- Rincon Research Corporation – this private corporation that specializes in technical intelligence and weapons technology currently has one government client. Possible Tucson homeland security jobs in Rincon Research Corporation include communications engineer, software engineer and geolocation engineer.
- SAIC – this private corporation that contracts to provide services for government agencies might offer homeland security jobs in Tucson including systems engineer and software developer.
- ManTech International Corporation – this private corporation that contracts with government organizations could provide homeland security career opportunities including logistics field engineer.
- Tucson Office of Emergency Management and Homeland Security – this local governmental agency is the foundation for homeland security in the city of Tucson. Possible homeland security jobs here include program manager, emergency management coordinator and emergency management director.
- Tucson Police Department – With its own division dedicated to emergency preparedness, Tucson’s top law enforcement agency employs homeland security jobs such as detective and intelligence analyst.