Fort Smith, Arkansas has experienced its share of terrorist threats, both before September 11, 2001 and after. In 2005, a graduate student at the University of Arkansas was arraigned in U.S. District Court in Fort Smith for plans to join a terrorist organization and attack Israel. Fort Smith also has close ties with New York City, where the 9/11 attacks took place.
At the Marshals Museum in Fort Smith, a 92-pound piece of steel that was part of the support holding the floor of an elevator in the World Trade Center towers stands on display as a reminder of the events of that fateful day. The Fort Smith Marshals Museum was designed to honor the victims of the September 11 attacks and the important role of the Marshals service post-9/11.
Homeland security jobs in Fort Smith are housed within various agencies, including the U.S. Marshals Office for the Western District of Arkansas in Fort Smith. Private industry and corporations also are home to many Fort Smith homeland security jobs.
Training for Homeland Security in Fort Smith, Arkansas
Training and education is necessary for those wishing to pursue homeland security careers in Fort Smith, Arkansas. They may be available through the following resources and programs:
- American Board of Certification in Homeland Security (ABCHS)-provides training that leads to the following credentials:
- Certified National Threat Analyst (CNTA)
- Intelligence Analyst Certified (IAC)
- Sensitive Security Information, Certified
- Certified in Disaster Preparedness (CDP-I)
- Bachelor of Science in Criminal Justice: Homeland Security Technology
- Master of Science in Homeland Security and Emergency Management
- Bachelor of Science in Emergency Administration and Management
- Master of Science in Emergency Management and Homeland Security
Public Sector Homeland Security Employers Located in Fort Smith
Since September 11, 2001, homeland security has become a top priority throughout the United States, including the town of Fort Smith, Arkansas. For example, the U.S. Attorney Western District of Arkansas office was started in Fort Smith post-9/11/01. Other possible employers of persons holding homeland security degrees and/or certification in the Fort Smith area include:
- Fort Smith Office of the Drug Enforcement Agency (DEA) – potential homeland security jobs here could include detective and undercover operatives
- Fort Smith Satellite Office of ATF (Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms) – possible homeland security jobs here could include intelligence analyst and undercover operatives
- Fort Smith Resident Agency of the FBI (Federal Bureau of Investigation) – detectives, intelligence analysts and others hold homeland security jobs here
- U.S. Marshals Western District of Arkansas District Office in Fort Smith – potential homeland security jobs here include detective, intelligence analyst and electronic monitoring specialist
- G4S Government Solutions – this staffing company that provides personnel for governmental agencies and departments may have homeland security jobs in Fort Smith including exercise control center specialist in operations/law enforcement, as well as adjunct instructor
- Department of the Air Force in Fort Smith – homeland security jobs such as deputy mission support officer may be available here
- U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services, Fort Smith Office – homeland security jobs in investigation may be available here