Located on the eastern seaboard, at the most northern point of the East Coast of the Maine is a key location when it comes to homeland security. In fact, in recent years, homeland security organizations were able to foil two terrorist plots that involved traveling across the US/ Canada border, into Maine, in order to bomb the Pentagon and Times Square in New York City. Both of these terrorist plots involved traveling through the city of Portland, which is the largest city in the state.
- Strayer University - Bachelors of Science Degree in Criminal Justice
- Michigan State University - Online Master of Science in Criminal Justice
- Saint Joseph's University - Online Master of Science in Criminal Justice
- Norwich University Online - Master of Arts in International Relations Program - Online
There are only a few homeland security departments, organizations and agencies located in Portland, Maine, but they play a crucial role in national security, as the two examples provided above illustrate. Along with the United States Department of Homeland Security field office (which is located in Portland,) there is also the State of Maine Homeland Security Department (located in Portland,) and a series of departments dedicated to homeland security via law enforcement agencies on the city and county level.
Homeland Security Jobs in Portland, Maine
While homeland security operations in Maine may not be the largest in the country, there are still plenty of homeland security professionals found in Portland- especially in the Portland area. The largest provider of homeland security positions in Portland is the federal Department of Homeland Security, but there are also positions available with the State of Maine Highway Patrol and the Portland Police Department, which both have extensive homeland security roles in the city of Portland and the rest of the state of Maine.
Some of the most common homeland security jobs found in Portland include the following:
- Computer forensics specialist
- Crime scene investigators
- Undercover operations team
- Surveillance team
- Electronic monitoring specialist
- Intelligence analysts
- Cyphers and cryptologists
- Foreign bureau agents
- Transportation security agents
Homeland Security Degrees, Training and Certification in Portland, Maine
In order to be considered for a homeland security position in Portland, as well as the rest of the country, a person must have the proper degrees, training and certification required of the position.
Homeland Security Degrees: Having a degree in a field closely related to homeland security is the most basic requirement for the job. Homeland security degrees offered in the greater Portland metropolitan area (both through traditional schooling and through online schooling) includes the following:
- Master of Science in Homeland Security and Emergency Management
- Bachelor of Science in Criminal Justice
- Bachelor of Science in Criminal Justice- Justice Studies
- Master of Science in Criminal Justice- Terrorism, Mediation and Peace
- Master of Science in Criminal Justice- Leadership and Executive Management
Homeland Security Training and Certification: Certification is awarded through completion of a training program in a specialized field related to homeland security. The certification can be obtained through academic means, or through a professional homeland security organization on the city, county, state or federal level.