Wilmington, Delaware made news headlines recently when the Delaware Department of Public Safety and Homeland Security and the U.S. Department of Homeland Security Customs and Border Protection announced a search at the Port of Wilmington. A ship had docked at the port and an undetermined number of passengers were reported missing. The DHS would not tell media what type of ship it was or why they were looking for the passengers. This is just one example of the importance of homeland security in Wilmington and the rest of the state of Delaware, especially at the ports that are gateways to international waters and to possible terrorists or others who may threaten harm to the United States. Homeland security jobs in Wilmington help to protect the city’s citizens, the state’s residents and citizens of the United States from outside threats.
Training for Homeland Security Careers in Wilmington, Delaware
A certificate, diploma or degree is necessary for those wishing to pursue a homeland security career in Wilmington, Delaware. Which track a student chooses depends upon his or her prior education. In the Wilmington, Delaware area and online, these training programs could lead to careers in homeland security:
- Bachelor of Science in Criminal Justice – Homeland Security
- Master of Public Administration – Homeland Security Policy and Coordination
- Master of Science in Homeland Security and Emergency Management
- Master of Arts in Criminology and Justice Studies
- Post Master’s Certificate in Homeland Security
- Master of Science in Administration of Justice – Concentration in Homeland Security
Homeland Security Jobs in Wilmington, Delaware
Wilmington, Delaware is home to many government agencies and organizations that work in a homeland security capacity to help keep the city’s, state’s, and nation’s citizens safe. Some examples of government agencies that are based in Wilmington, and possible homeland security jobs at each agency, are:
- U.S Attorney’s Office, District of Delaware – this office could offer homeland security job opportunities such as intelligence analyst and detective
- Wilmington Joint Terrorism Task Force Annex – this annex of the FBI works on terrorism cases with local and federal law enforcement officials. Examples of homeland security jobs here include information technology analyst and intelligence analyst.
- Delaware National Guard and the Delaware Adjutant General’s Office – this organization helps protect the state of Delaware and the country from threats of all kinds. Homeland security jobs here could include Safety Officer and Aviation Operations Specialist.
- RAC Wilmington (Immigrations and Customs Enforcement) – Transportation security specialists and others perform homeland security job duties here
- USMS District of Delaware (U.S. Marshals)- this federal law enforcement office in Wilmington may offer homeland security job opportunities such as Detective and Deputy U.S. Marshal
- United States Secret Service, Wilmington Office – this office could offer homeland security jobs like Secret Service Agent and Detective
- ATF (Alcohol, Tobacco & Firearms), Wilmington Field Office – this office could offer homeland security jobs like ATF Agent and Detective
- FBI (Federal Bureau of Intelligence), Wilmington Resident Agency – this office could offer homeland security jobs like Undercover Operations and Special Agent
Private companies located in Wilmington, Delaware that may offer career opportunities in homeland security include:
- SAIC – Information Technology Specialist and Network Technician
- URS Corporation – Health and Safety Specialist
- enGenius Consulting Group – Senior Emergency Planner