Augusta, Georgia is under the jurisdiction of the Georgia Emergency Management Agency/Homeland Security for Richmond County, Region 3. Emergency Management Services in Augusta-Richmond County serve 200,000 people over 324 square miles. They help citizens plan and prepare for disasters and threats against security. They also try to prevent attacks on the security of the area through community awareness and mitigation efforts. Working with the Agency are the American Red Cross, National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, Georgia Emergency Management Agency, Federal Emergency Management Agency, Local Emergency Planning Committee, and police at the local and state levels. Homeland security jobs in Augusta may be available at these agencies or at private companies that are contracted to work with government agencies.
- Grand Canyon University - B.S. and M.S in Homeland Security and Emergency Management
- SNHU - A.S. in Criminal Justice, B.S. in Criminal Justice - Homeland Security & Counterterrorism, and M.S. in Criminal Justice - Advanced Counterterrorism
- Grantham University - Online Associate and Bachelor's Criminal Justice Programs
- Strayer University - Bachelors of Science Degree in Criminal Justice
- Michigan State University - Online Master of Science in Criminal Justice
- Saint Joseph's University - Online Master of Science in Criminal Justice
- Norwich University Online - Master of Arts in International Relations Program - Online
Homeland Security Degrees in Augusta, Georgia
Degree programs in homeland security and related disciplines are available in the Augusta, Georgia area and online. One must possess a certificate or degree in homeland security or a similar area prior to applying for homeland security jobs in Augusta. Educational options in the Augusta area include:
- Associate Degree in Applied Science –Homeland Security
- Associate Degree in Emergency Management
- Bachelors of Business Administration Degree – Legal Studies
- Bachelors of Science Degree in Criminal Justice – Homeland Security and Emergency Management
- Master of Science Degree in Criminal Justice – Terrorism, Mediation and Peace
- Master of Science Degree in Homeland Security Leadership and Policy
Homeland Security Careers in Augusta, Georgia
Homeland security job opportunities in Augusta, Georgia and the surrounding area range from those within government organizations to those within private corporations. Government agencies with a presence in Augusta or the general area and which may offer homeland security jobs include:
- Augusta Resident Agency of the FBI (Federal Bureau of Investigation)
- Augusta Satellite Office of the ATF (Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms)
- Richmond County Sheriff’s Office
- Fort Gordon CID Office (U.S. Army) – 8 miles from Augusta
- Fort Gordon Resident Office (Military Intelligence) – 8 miles from Augusta
Homeland security jobs at the above-referenced government facilities may include titles such as Detective, Undercover Operations, Intelligence Analyst, Wireless Monitoring Specialist, and Electronic Monitoring Specialist.
Additionally, there are private employers in the Augusta area that may contract to do work for government organizations. These types of companies are often hiring to fill homeland security-related jobs. In the Augusta area, these companies include:
- TASC – Military Transition Assistance Program – this program helps former members of the military transition into jobs, including homeland security jobs
- SAIC – contracts with the government and often offers homeland security jobs at Fort Gordon in translation of languages and instruction in languages such as Persian/Farsi, Pashto, Arabic and Hebrew. Other homeland security jobs that are often hired by SAIC include analyst/reporter, program manager, polygraph instructor and nuclear controls engineer.
- Parsons Corporation – in Aiken, SC, about 20 miles from Augusta, GA. This company supports government homeland security operations and may provide job opportunities such as Information Security Analyst, Polygraph Instructor, and Safety Specialist.