As one of the largest metropolitan areas in the entire United States, the city of Chicago must be aware of any terrorist activity or other threats that may be aimed at the city. As a result, Chicago has a high volume of homeland security professionals in the area. It is the primary duty of homeland security to use intelligence and other techniques in order to protect citizens from harm. In Chicago, federal agencies work with local law enforcement, citizens and other municipal agencies to coordinate intelligence gathering and criminal investigation efforts.
<!- mfunc search_btn -><!- /mfunc search_btn -><!- mfunc feat_school ->
Every year there are at least a few terrorism plots that are thwarted thanks to the efforts of the various homeland security entities in the Chicago area.
- April 2013, a man was arrested on suspicion of planning a terrorist plot after visiting militant groups in Syria.
- May 2012, three men were arrested after a plot was uncovered, in which the men were planning to attack President Obama while visiting Chicago, as well as Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel.
- September 2012, a Chicago teen was arrested after leaving a car bomb in front of a Chicago bar. The FBI defused the bomb before it was able to cause any damage.
Homeland Security Degrees, Training and Certification in Chicago
Homeland security jobs in any of the organizations in Chicago require degrees, certification and extensive training.
Homeland Security Degrees: Chicago is home to numerous universities and community colleges that offer a variety of degrees related to homeland security. The following are some of the most common homeland security degrees offered in Chicago:
- Bachelors degree in criminal justice- homeland security and emergency management
- Bachelors degree in criminal justice- homeland security technology
- Bachelors degree in criminal justice
- Associates degree in homeland security
- Masters degree in homeland security- terrorism, mediation and peace
Homeland Security Training and Certification: For some positions, depending on the agency or organization, additional training and specialized certifications may be needed in addition to a degree from an accredited institution.
Homeland Security Jobs found in Chicago
Homeland security professionals work with a variety of law enforcement agencies, emergency service and management providers, state, county and city agencies and organizations. The primary homeland security partnership in Chicago is the Cook County Department of Homeland Security and Emergency Management. The department coordinates the efforts of first responders, police and city government officials in Chicago to mitigate the potential damage caused by any emergency situation- whether manmade or natural.
Common jobs in the Cook County Department of Homeland Security and Emergency Management include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Transportation security agents
- Undercover operations team
- Surveillance team
- Intelligence analysts