The state of Iowa is one of the few areas in the United States that have a combined emergency management services and homeland security department. While the state of Iowa is not a popular target for foreign terrorism, it has had its brushes with domestic terrorist incidents. Like many rural states around the country, there is a small, but real, militia problem. While militias are not illegal, many of them tend to lean towards radical, anti-government beliefs and have been known to give birth to domestic terrorists. Over the last decade, the state of Iowa has dealt with a few domestic terrorism plots involving members of militias located in rural areas of the state- including areas near the metropolitan area of Sioux City.
- Grand Canyon University - B.S. and M.S in Homeland Security and Emergency Management
- SNHU - A.S. in Criminal Justice, B.S. in Criminal Justice - Homeland Security & Counterterrorism, and M.S. in Criminal Justice - Advanced Counterterrorism
- Grantham University - Online Associate and Bachelor's Criminal Justice Programs
- Strayer University - Bachelors of Science Degree in Criminal Justice
- Michigan State University - Online Master of Science in Criminal Justice
- Saint Joseph's University - Online Master of Science in Criminal Justice
- Norwich University Online - Master of Arts in International Relations Program - Online
Providers of homeland security services in the state include the Iowa Department of Homeland Security and Emergency Management, the Homeland Security Bureau of the Sioux Falls Police Department and other organizations that operate on the county, state and federal levels.
Homeland Degrees, Certification and Training in Sioux City
Beginning a homeland Security career in Sioux City, as well as the rest of the state of Iowa, a person is required to have a degree in a field closely related to:
- Homeland security
- Criminal justice
- Law enforcement
- Legal studies
- Business administration
Job candidates are also required to have training experience and certification in at least one of a variety of fields related to emergency management or homeland security.
Homeland Security Degrees in Sioux City: Degrees offered in Sioux City include bachelor’s degrees in:
- Homeland security
- Terrorism, mediation & peace
- Homeland security technology
- Homeland security leadership and policies
Homeland security professionals are required to at least hold a bachelor’s degree in order to be considered for a job in Sioux City.
Homeland Security Training and Certification in Sioux City: The primary source of homeland security training in the area is offered through the local field offices of the Department of Homeland Security, as well as the Iowa Department of Homeland Security and Emergency Services.
Through training, people will receive certification in a variety of specializations, including First Aid and CPR, Emergency Management Planning, Hazardous Materials, Criminal Justice Policies and Procedures, National Security Policies and Procedures, Foreign and Domestic Terrorism.