In Wichita, the primary entity concerning terrorism and organized crime is the Wichita Department of Homeland Security. Through the Department of Homeland Security, partnerships have been formed between law enforcement agencies and community groups in the area. These partnerships are formed in order to ensure the safety of the general public.
- Grand Canyon University - B.S. and M.S in Homeland Security and Emergency Management
- Strayer University - Bachelors of Science Degree in Criminal Justice
- Michigan State University - Online Master of Science in Criminal Justice
- Saint Joseph's University - Online Master of Science in Criminal Justice
- Norwich University Online - Master of Arts in International Relations Program - Online
Homeland Security Jobs in Wichita
Because homeland security professionals have to perform myriad of tasks- there are various positions found in Wichita. Operations performed by homeland security organizations can range from foiling terrorist plots, busting up large scale drug syndicates, combating organized crime in the form of gangs and mobs, or performing street level tasks in order to curb small scale crime problems in neighborhoods within the city limits of Wichita.
The following are a list of some of the most common homeland security jobs found in the Wichita metropolitan area:
- Computer forensics
- Intelligence analysts
- International bureau
- Undercover operations team member
- Surveillance team members
- Network consultants
- Wireless technology specialists
- Information Technology specialists
Degrees and Training for Homeland Security Jobs in Wichita
Among the most important qualifications and requirements for homeland security jobs in Wichita is experience (whether through volunteering, internships or work experience) and the proper education to handle the job.
Homeland Security Degrees: There are numerous homeland security related degrees available in and around the city of Wichita. Homeland security degrees are available through traditional colleges and universities, as well as through online schools in the area. The following is a list of some of the most common homeland security degrees offered in the area:
- Bachelor’s of Criminal Justice- Homeland Security
- Bachelor’s of Applied Science in Homeland Security
- Bachelor’s in Criminal Justice- Homeland Security Technology
- Bachelor’s in Criminal Justice- Terrorism, Mediation and Peace
- Master’s Degree in Homeland Security Leadership and Policy
Homeland Security Training: Training plays a very large role in preparing a person for a role within the homeland security department and other organizations. All homeland security jobs require thorough training in a variety of fields, and in most cases certification will be received once training is completed.
The length of training depends on what is being learned, but for the most part all training can be completed within six months to a year.
Much of the training is provided by the city of Wichita, through the Department of Homeland Security or through law enforcement agencies in the area. Other homeland security certifications in Wichita can be obtained through online schools and universities in the area.