One of the largest domestic terrorist attacks in recent memory happened in Boston when two improvised explosive devices (IEDs) were detonated killing three bystanders. What followed was one of the largest manhunts in the history of the greater Boston region as part of the effort to capture the terrorists who implemented the attack. One died and one was captured. The people responsible for capturing the terrorists and bringing them to justice were largely working as part of the homeland security infrastructure in and around Boston.
- Grand Canyon University - B.S. and M.S in Homeland Security and Emergency Management
- SNHU - A.S. in Criminal Justice, B.S. in Criminal Justice - Homeland Security & Counterterrorism, and M.S. in Criminal Justice - Advanced Counterterrorism
- Grantham University - Online Associate and Bachelor's Criminal Justice Programs
- Strayer University - Bachelors of Science Degree in Criminal Justice
- Michigan State University - Online Master of Science in Criminal Justice
- Saint Joseph's University - Online Master of Science in Criminal Justice
- Norwich University Online - Master of Arts in International Relations Program - Online
The following are among the most common homeland security jobs offered in Boston:
- Intelligence analyst
- Transportation security agent
- Surveillance team member
- Undercover operations team member
- Information security
Homeland Security Degrees in Boston
In order to obtain a homeland security position in Boston, candidates are typically required to have at least a bachelors degree in one of the following fields:
- Law Enforcement
- Criminal Justice
- Homeland Security
- Terrorism, Mediation, and Peace
- Homeland Security and Emergency Management
- Business Administration
Examples of pertinent degrees in the above fields include the ones below. These degrees can be obtained through traditional schooling at a college or university, or through online schooling in the greater Boston area.
College and University Degrees in the Boston Area
- Bachelor Degree in Criminal Justice
- Bachelor of Science in Criminal Justice Technology
Online Degrees Offered in the Boston Area
- Bachelor Degree in Justice Studies- Criminal Justice
- Master of Arts in Criminal Justice
- Master of Science in Criminal Justice- Terrorism, Mediation and Peace
In combination with a degree, people seeking a position in the homeland security sector must also complete training and receive certification in a variety of fields (depending on the position being sought.) Training and certification is offered via academic means and through professional organizations, and through the Department of Homeland Security.
Homeland Security Organizations Located in Boston
There are numerous organizations and agencies that operate as part of the homeland security effort in Boston. There is a major field office for the United States Department of Homeland Security located in Boston, the Massachusetts State Department of Homeland Security, the U.S. Coast Guard Homeland Security division, the Homeland Security division of the Boston Police Department and the Metro Boston Homeland Security Region, which is composed of nine cities and towns located within the greater Boston metropolitan area.