Since the area surrounding Rochester is mostly rural, it is known to be home to militias that tend to lean towards an anti-government stance. In 2008, authorities in Minnesota found a stash of Molotov cocktails, automatic weapons and other contraband in the possession of a militia. It was found out, after apprehending the militia members, that they were planning a terror plot aimed at various state and federal government agencies located throughout the state- including ones near the city of Rochester. It is estimated that militia groups have risen from about 50 documented groups to more than 260 since the election of President Barack Obama in 2008.
Other homeland security responsibilities in the Rochester area include organized crime, drug rings and human trafficking rings.
The Department of Homeland Security has a field office located in Rochester, and is one of the major employers of homeland security professionals in the area. There is also a Homeland Security Division of the City of Rochester and a homeland security force as part of Minnesota State Troopers.
Homeland Security Degrees, Training and Certification in Rochester
Homeland Security Degrees in Rochester: In Minnesota, an applicant is required to have a bachelor’s degree in a field closely related to homeland security. Acceptable fields of study include:
- Forensic Psychology and Criminal Investigation
- Homeland Security Leadership and Policy
- Human Services
- Terrorism, Mediation, and Peace
- Criminal Justice
- Law Enforcement
Within those areas of study are specialized degrees that may be more appealing to homeland security organizations during the initial phases of the hiring process. Examples include:
- Bachelor of Business Administration in Legal Studies
- Bachelor of Science in Criminal Justice- Homeland Security and Emergency Management
- Bachelor of Science in Criminal Justice- Homeland Security Management
- Bachelor of Science- Advanced Start in Criminal Justice
- Accelerated Criminal Justice Bachelor Degree in Homeland Security Leadership
- Doctor of Business Administration
- Master of Science in Management in Homeland Security
Homeland Training and Certification in Rochester: Most homeland security jobs in the area also require the completion of training programs and certification from a school or organization that specializes in homeland security practices and procedures.