The Bureau of Labor Statistics provides 2012 salary data for a number of different types of homeland security positions in California.
- Hazardous Materials Removal Workers. Professionals in this field in California earned a median annual salary of $40,240.. Those in the top tenth percentile of salaries made $64,690 that year. Top earners had wages even higher than this in Los Angeles, the Santa Ana/Anaheim/Irvine area, and in the nonmetropolitan area of the north coast of California. They earned $74,030, $70,160, and $72,070 respectively.
- Grand Canyon University - B.S. and M.S in Homeland Security and Emergency Management
- SNHU - A.S. in Criminal Justice, B.S. in Criminal Justice - Homeland Security & Counterterrorism, and M.S. in Criminal Justice - Advanced Counterterrorism
- Grantham University - Online Associate and Bachelor's Criminal Justice Programs
- Strayer University - Bachelors of Science Degree in Criminal Justice
- Michigan State University - Online Master of Science in Criminal Justice
- Saint Joseph's University - Online Master of Science in Criminal Justice
- Norwich University Online - Master of Arts in International Relations Program - Online
- Information Security Analysts.These computer specialists commanded an annual median salary of $96,840 a year in California. Top earners in the upper tenth percentile averaged $140,990 in the state. The annual mean salaries were highest in San Francisco with the average being $114,120. In the Sacramento area, those in the top tenth percentile made an average of $175,590 a year.
- Ordinance Handling Experts. These explosives workers had a median salary of $55,720 a year in California, while those in the top tenth percentile earned an average of $70,420 a year.
- Protective Service Worker Supervisors.The median salary of first-line supervisors of protective service workers in California was $47,850, while that of supervisors in Oxnard/Thousand Oaks/Ventura was $66,080. In the state as a whole, those in the top 10th wage percentile earned $82,930. Salaries in this percentile were substantially higher in the San Mateo/Redwood City area around San Francisco and in San Luis Obispo/Paso Robles. They were $104,900 and $111,080 respectively.
- Transportation Security Screeners. These essential personnel earned a median salary of $38,160 in California, while those in the top tenth percentile of salaries made $45,670. Salaries were particularly high in the San Jose area with the median salary being $42.030 and an average top 10th percentile salary of $51,290.
The information shown in these tables was furnished by the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics and represents salary data for many of the different homeland security jobs one could find in California’s major cities.